Jerseyville United Methodist Church

About Us Church Calendar Bible Study Pastor's Page Community Outreach

 

Home

 

 

About us.

We Believe:

Our Mission:

A Church in the Community, for the Community: Jerseyville

With its tall, white spire reaching towards the heavens, Jerseyville United Methodist Church serves as a beacon of God’s light in the surrounding community. Though off the main road of Route 33, it is visible from quite a distance and well known to locals.

The hamlet known as Jerseyville was born on a Saturday night, June 3, 1854, when local residents gathered and renamed the area known as Green Grove. Worship by local Methodists was sometimes held at the new school house. But patriotic fever from the end of the Civil war combined with religious fervor from the celebration of one hundred years of Methodism to create a Methodist Church at Jerseyville. The cornerstone was laid on a donated lot on June 1, 1869. The new building, costing $4,240.00, was dedicated on January 19, 1872. A beautiful example of church architecture of the times, it is largely unchanged. However, a basement was hand-dug in 1912 and the balcony was enclosed in 1944 to save heating costs. This made way for indoor plumbing in 1954, as the stairwell was converted to a restroom.

Never a people to stand on ceremony or to be confined by labels, all people have been welcome at Jerseyville. For years, a women’s group called “The Willing Workers” was based in the church. Made up of members and non-members alike, it served the community in various ways. Many children also received a Christian education in the Jerseyville basement. At a renewal celebration in 1998, people came from all around central New Jersey to reminisce about their days in Sunday School and at the Harvest Home suppers. These friends and former members, living in Howell or elsewhere, still supported the church as the basement, well, septic system, and building exterior were repaired for the new millennium.

Built and supported by a grateful community, a grateful congregation continues to search for ways to “give back” to the community in which it lives. From a beautiful, historic building, the future beckons to a small but faithful body seeking to fulfill a vision of following Jesus Christ.

Located at this web site http://howell.patch.com/articles/methodist-church-keeps-a-strong-connection-to-howell-s-past is additional information about our history.

Our Photo Album

Some of the activities that our members and friends have taken part in through out the last few years.